Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Friday, April 08, 2022

Poem a Day 8: What They Never Tell You

Today's prompt from Robert Brewer for Day 8 of the Poem a Day Challenge is to write a 'what they never tell you' poem. 

Robert Brewer says: "I'm not sure who "they" are, but "they" talk a lot, and there are things people tell you, and there are things you just have to learn on your own, because "they" (them again) never tell you ahead of time. Like, for instance, "they" never told me that I'd still feel like a teenager in my 40s, but here we are. Think about what "they" never tell (or told) you, and write that poem."

What They Never Tell You

I don't know what every mother feels
that moment when her new child
is born, and she holds that infant
in her arms for the first time.
I only know my world seemed to stop
and start anew, for you were here,
my daughter,
a force entirely unto yourself,
yet shaped by dreams and hope,
and now, unexpected change.
I tried to tell you over the years
what that moment meant.
I'm not sure my words ever held
that sense of surprise and delight,
until that day, your own daughters
nearby, you said to me,
your face easing into a heartfelt smile,
"Now I know what you meant."


Image by Yashwanth Madhu from Pixabay






1 comment:

  1. Oh breathtakingly BEAUTIFUL! You said it ALL!

    ReplyDelete