Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Poem a Day 19: Look . . .

If I could wish a poem
each day into being, those words
assembled neatly on the page,
new images that resonate with meaning,
connect with nature,
perhaps revealing what each day
means to me, that burst of pleasure
about a phrase that says
exactly what I'd like to say:
That would be enough.

But, look, what I really care about
are family and friends, dear ones all,
who face down challenges,
and I cannot change anything at all,
not really. Somehow even words 
at such a distance, a note or call,
seem not enough. Maybe prayers
would help. On my desk, 
a small jar with two hyacinths
bloom, their sweet smell
suggests hope.


Image by Pezibear from Pixabay

Today the prompt from NaPoWriMo is simply to write a poem that starts with a command. It could be as uncomplicated as “Look,” as plaintive as “Come back,” or as silly as “Don’t you even think about putting that hot sauce in your hair.”  

The prompt itself makes me want to write something silly. Instead, I'm thinking about family and friends -- and hoping for good news tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. You "got it exactly!" Boiled it all down to what is REALLY IMPORTANT, "dear ones all." I love that line! And you show our helplessness. Prayers do help! Sometimes that is all we can do. Your words are wonderfully pithy!

    ReplyDelete