Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Thursday, April 14, 2022

Poem a Day 14: Was it Scary?

Was It Scary?

The first time you lost a word while speaking, 
as if your brain hit a bump,
a convoluted map of nerve cells 
pointing to what comes next,
until sentences begin to disappear, 
was it scary?
Or did you sit with friends to joke
and fill in the blanks, 
laughter easing loss?
I only hope that I remember you,
and you remember me,
for I would rather lose every word,
almost every other memory,
even as I know what's coming.


Visiting Kilauea Volcano, March 2022

Catch up on all the poetry prompts from Robert Brewer at Writer's Digest! Today's Poem-A-Day Challenge asks us to write a scary poem. As Robert Brewer says: "Your poem could invoke monsters, release spiders, or tremble at the mystery of the night. It could contemplate taxes or the prospect of public speaking. And don't forget the dread of the blank page. There are so very many things that can be interpreted as scary. Write your interpretation today." Well, sorry, Mr. Brewer, I wanted to write a happier poem, as today feels full of promise.



4 comments:

  1. Allergies. That's what it is. Pass the tissues, please?

    So touching...well done, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diedre. Some people say if you feel deep emotion when you write, the poem is stronger. I just know every decade has its own challenges, emotional and otherwise. So, my mantra is to cherish each day . . . and hope we all have good memories.

      Delete
  2. YES, touching and SAD. My father lost much of his memory. I once mention to him that he could forget who I was. He looked at me with such love and said, "I could never forget you." And he didn't! There are blessings even in sadness! Saying goodbye is HARD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet, this challenge is one each generation faces -- sometimes, unexpectedly.

      Delete