Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Tuesday, April 05, 2022

Poem a Day 5: Make Sense?

Today's prompt by Robert Brewer for Day 5 of the Poem a Day Challenge is a 'Two for Tuesday' poem. That is, two prompts to write either one or combine, as you wish. Prompt 1: Make sense. Prompt 2: Don't make sense. Robert Brewer always includes his own response to inspire us. Today, his poem (see link above) is heartfelt.

Make Sense?

Why do we strive for order each day,
our calendars full, priorities set, 
as if our belief in what makes sense could be touched.
Scientists know this: 
They note the spider's web turning with purpose,
truly only one goal: to survive.
Neanderthals knew this: 
the men hunted; the women gathered.
If needed, the women hunted; the men gathered.
We take each day and survive. 
If bills are paid, no one can evict us?
If we fill out all the papers, 
if we wear masks, we will be safe?
Promises are made and kept, or not. 
No matter the loud noises in the night 
or the terror of bombs.
This world makes no sense at all.
I'm not sure what lines are drawn,
or when they will be crossed
as I sip my hot tea and listen to the news,
each day recounting atrocities.
I wait for some good resolution,
without much hope, knowing
somehow we will survive this,
even if it makes no sense at all.


Image by wal_172619 from Pixabay






4 comments:

  1. Oh POWERFUL, you talk about order, you give us history, you make us THINK. We, at times, feel powerless. "We take each day and survive." We do the best we can with the cards we are delt. THANK YOU for making us think. Your words are POTENT! Thank you! Your writing touches my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I was pretty discouraged this morning and don't really see any quick resolution. Still, let's hope for tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. YES, we HOPE and pray for Ukraine! And we buckle down and do our best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see. Makes me wonder what would happen if I didn't meet my responsibilities in my life. Not knowing the consequences would scare me. Then there are the Ukrainians who have no say for their future in that devastated country. I am not losing hope for them. They are strong!

    ReplyDelete