Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Saturday, April 02, 2022

Poem a Day 2: Second Chance

Robert Brewer's suggested topic for the second day of A Poem a Day (PAD) Challenge is a doozy.  I can only share my poem, knowing it came from my first reaction to his prompt.

Second Chance

If I stumble, if I fall,
after all these years we've shared,
and now in our eighth decade,
would you give me a second chance?
I don't even have to ask.
Your morning smile says 'Yes!'
And yet doubt remains: for one day,
you will leave me.
Or I will leave you.
I really don't know how I would live without you.
That hard-won belief we'd meet again,
in a second life or heaven, doesn't hold true.
I only believe there is a beginning
and an end.
For now, the sun rises each  morning,
you smile, and I hope
to cherish each day.


Image by jplenio on Pixabay




8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Diedre. Perhaps the poem is too romantic, but it was heartfelt. Hope you enjoy this month of writing challenges!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5:20 AM

    How blessed you are Beth to have such a wonderful relationship...Beautiful poem...Rall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rall. Each decade brings its own challenges, so my mantra truly is to cherish each day. I do enjoy your poems as well.

      Delete
  3. At dawn in Redmond, this sentiment rings true. Thank you, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. I think of you every day with love and hope.

      Delete
  4. This poem is deep and heartfelt. it is HARD and BRAVE that you share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sandy, not so brave to follow where the words lead you! I hope your own writing goes well. And thank you!

      Delete