Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Thursday, October 01, 2015

#1: Starry Night


Not sure why
I was afraid of the dark,
until I fell in love 
with Vincent van Gogh's painting,
"The Starry Night." 
His cypress touch a sky filled
with swirling clouds of stars.

Once I saw his paintings,
once I heard that poignant song,
"Starry, Starry Night,"
I will always hold close 
the ache between dreaming and doing,
that shiver between safe
and screaming terror.
Each breath brings choice;
each act can lead to beauty.

October begins with OctPoWriMo. This month continues a tradition when writers commit to writing a poem a day with OctPoWriMo. And so I will try. Today's prompt is clouds. You can begin with a free-write to see what words or images develop into a poem, as I did. Check out the linky to see what others have written.

You can hear Don McLean's moving tribute to Vincent Van Gogh, "Starry, Starry Night," released in 2001, on Youtube.  And there is only one Vincent Van Gogh, Dutch painter 1853-1890. Source of his "Starry Night" Wikipedia.


No comments:

Post a Comment