Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

April 28: Look Back or Don't Look Back

Today I picked up a 20-pound bag of rice.
Wore a mask inside the store.
Didn't stop for a latte.
Felt like I was preparing for Armageddon.
Don't look back.

Two months ago, grocery shopping,
a sensual delight. Marmalade made
of bitter oranges from Seville.
Artisan breads reek of rosemary
or garlic. Fresh bananas and sushi:
let me count the ways
I will cook for you.
Oh, look back.

I pace my apartment, ready to fall
into my computer, far from
these four rooms and yet, at home,
books, quilting, the next writing projects,
friends a click away . . . zoom!
Cooking ever a challenge: Where
did those eggs go? What can I make
with the last can of black beans?
Maybe I'll water a few struggling house plants;
today's sunny outside on Day 50
of stay-at-home. Birds
scrabble after seed in the feeder,
freshly full, and my love sleeps.
Don't look back.

Finch by 272477 at (Pixabay)
Today's prompt for National Poetry Month comes from Robert Lee Brewer who asks us to respond to this prompt: 'look back' or 'don't look back.' I couldn't help it. I chose both, for these days, aren't we all poised between looking back to what once was and, somehow, not wanting to look back?

So, I'm sending wishes to you all, whether at home or not, that you stay healthy, close to family and friends, and as we move into an uncertain future, stay brave.


3 comments:

  1. An absolutely beautiful look at your life. Both looking back and when you don't look back. Also a tender reach to the love of your life. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Unknown, for visiting and commenting. Still hoping as we 'look forward' that we'll be building a better world for us all.

      Delete