Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

April 22: Quirky?

Writers are supposed to have their quirks.
I know one who kept apples in his desk,
breathing in the scent as inspiration.
Not me. My quirks are simple,
switch the hat from morning writer
to afternoon editor and formatter.
Think about it: Two hours to
insert headers and footers
in a 55,000 word novel.
Who could be inspired by that?
But once the task is done,
I can move on. Since my books
take a luxurious two to three years
to write, well, smile with me.
Once this puppy is out the door,
I can switch the hat back
to morning writer
for many days to come.

Writer by Angela Yuriko Smith (Pixabay)

Today's prompt from Robert Lee Brewer asks us to explore a quirk we may have -- or that someone else may have. The famous writer referred to above was 18th Century German poet Fredreich Schiller; he literally did keep those apples rotting in his desk as he wrote. I truly can't imagine doing that, though a nearby cup of coffee with lots of milk or hot tea sounds good.

You know which hat I was wearing when this poem came along? After all, it's afternoon, but I truly did finish two monumentally difficult formatting tasks today! Hooray!

Have a wonderful day. It's raining just now, but afternoon movies or a nice read await. Enjoy the quiet.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Beth. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, Annette, thank you! You lead the way and keep me motivated as I navigate this 'wide' distribution!

    ReplyDelete