Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Thursday, April 25, 2013

V is for Vexing . . .

April winds down,
and I find myself adverse to verse. 
No found poems,
no verisimilitude, no vaunting
of vectors. Not even a tangent;
writing is simply vexing.
I view what others have written,
a voyeur perusing other 
un-vanquished poets. "Volta! -- turn about!"
Spring vibrates in each 
apple blossom outside my window,
victuals for my soul that's 
vegetarian at heart,
no meat, no blood, no bones,
no violence. 
I'm safe in this third-floor
apartment. Not even the fire department
could break down my door.

Ha! Did it! Day 25. Now off to read what others have written.
NaPoWriMo asks you to write a sea chanty or a ballad and A to Z Challenge closes April with encouraging words.

Just for fun, here's a sea chanty I wrote for Years of Stone (1840s Van Diemen's Land). It was fun to try the rhythm of a work song, and I'm ready to jump back to the writing . . . for real!


‘Oh, say was you ever in Van Diemen’s Land.
Down by the Derwent, the girls take your hand,
You’ll forget the storms and the rising seas,
When Sally and Sue come sit on your knees. 
Dance down the night, boys, till the tide turns,
For yer bound ‘round Devil’s Point, n’er to return.’ 


Devil's Point is now called Ship Stern Bluff, a most dangerous place in Tasmania where wave tossed surfers gather, where ships once sailed, and where the great white shark yet gathers.

Ship Stern Cove (Wikipedia)





6 comments:

  1. Ah vexing is a good one. This poem aptly describes how I have been feeling lately. Good job! I'm a little behind and working on my U poem now. I didn't think I was going to be able to come up with much but when I started looking at the words, I realized there was an issue that I haven't touched on this round and this letter would cover it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always envied people who are able to write in verse!

    Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:08 PM

    You may or may not listen to internet radio, but you can admit that internet radio
    sounds pretty creative itself, right. This will consequently put
    many of them out of business or in bankruptcy.
    So you can imagine how much your choice has increased from before.



    My weblog :: internetradiosender

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:03 PM

    Similar to the cue ball that is shot in pools; this game involves
    coins and strikers that are essential to play carrom game.
    At the same time, web games seemed like the future of gaming, and
    we wanted to be a part of it. But what happens when a
    player runs out of race tokens.

    Also visit my homepage ... click through the Following website

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great poem, Beth. Thank you for the generous comment on my poem, I am the Same. Much appreciated. I love the photo of that giant wave in Van Dieman's land of old.
    Francene.
    A - Z Challenge
    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the sea chanty! I'm kinda singing it in my head now...

    ReplyDelete