Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Saturday, April 06, 2013

E is for Elvis . . .

Elvis 1968 (Wikipedia)
Screaming teen-aged girls 
mobbed him;
Blues-loving fans adored him;
Guys hated him.
Adults were outraged, but 
Elvis was a soft-spoken 
young man from the south,
a bad boy wearing leathers,
a parent's nightmare
with heavy-lidded eyes,
so nervous when he sang, 
he jiggled his legs;
his cross-over music 
a tribute to the blues, he topped
the charts over and over again. 
I only know when his songs came on the radio in Seattle in the late 1950s, 
everything seemed possible, even love,
and we danced holes in the rug.

We're home, exhausted after driving 430 miles, and I'm late with "E" for the A-Z Challenge, but who could forget Elvis, his raucous break-all-the-rules"Blue Suede Shoes," and his contribution to rock and roll?



To read what others have written:

7 comments:

  1. He was such an icon in his heyday. Everyone knows who Elvis is. Hope you get some rest after your long journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I was one of those screaming girls back in the 50s when Elvis first hit the scene. He came to Detroit, Michigan, and my dear mom took me and my best friend Saundra to his show at one of the big theaters. We were all hog-wild and so thrilled to be there. Well, probably not my mom, but she endured for our sakes.

    Loved your poem. Thanks for the memory. xoA

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was Elvis then and many of the 70's and 80's singers are still out there but gravity is catching them. I love how music has a life of it's own and one that penetrates to depths of our hearts. Thanks for remembering Elvis, an icon that changed music and us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was he not fantastic? The first good looking bad boy if you ask me.
    I remember dancing with my father to his songs. We'd do the twist. Seriously. I just twisted as Elvis played. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elvis. I grew up with him. Ya I'm that old. I remember when the Elvis from Hawaii album came out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:56 PM

    I was born closer to the end of Elvis' career. My parents had seen him perform in Charlotte, NC, and had promised to take my brother and me the next time he toured. I can still remember the day he passed away. I was angry because I would never get to see him perform live. He was a genius performer!

    ReplyDelete