Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

H is for hiatus . . .

Hiatus -- that moment between
endings and beginnings,
winter to spring.

Last night the weatherman,
his eyebrows wiggling,
predicted a 'late snow'.
This morning, I see clear sky,
and spring green grass.
White cherry blossoms line up
like popcorn strung
along bare branches.
I pause,
yet between words,
a natural fissure in this day,
content to balance what was
with what will be.

To read what others have written:
NaPoWriMo at http://www.napowrimo.net/participants-sites/
A-Z Challenge at http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/2012-to-z-challenge-sign-up-list.html


How would you define 'hiatus'? What happens 'between' that is important to you?

On the way to Mount Lemon, Tucson (Camp 2013)


8 comments:

  1. I love your poems.

    The between - that moment when every thing hangs in the balance. The pause after you exhale and choose to take another breath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of something I read yesterday on Flora Bowley's blog. She was writing about the "space between moments" and how she's been finding that space between moments of her busy life to carve out time for herself. I love living in those "between" moments. There is so much promise there! And your image of the cherry blossoms like strung popcorn - beautifully put!

    ReplyDelete
  3. H is also for "Hey, Beth. My wife and I were just on Mt. Lemmon a couple of weeks ago!" Nice photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:38 PM

    I'm always impressed by you folks who tackle these challenges! Love the poem and gorgeous picture.

    The between...I like that. It makes me think of the Emerson quote: Life is a journey, not a destination :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Between moments are important. Great post and great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me a hiatus is like a break, a vacation, a step away from the ordinary routine. Lovely poem and photo!

    Jaimie at Living in the Light
    A to Z Challenge Ambassador

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for commenting. Somehow photos and/or artwork are always part of the writing. May we all be blessed with more time "between".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:55 AM

    Yet another fine poem, Beth. For years, spring on hiatus is what I knew but now, some would say where I live it is always spring, at least. Thanks so much for sharing your writing with us.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete