Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Monday, April 15, 2013

L is for Lollygagging . . .

If ever warmer days 
finally replaced the cold 
that sinks in my bones, 
I would leap out of my mummy-bag, 
celebrate with a plethora 
of dandy-lions, 
their manes tossing
like tissues as I sneeze 
again and again. 
I would embrace the now! 
Stop lollygagging with the last gasp, 
the last hangover of winter, 
this dratted cold.

Today's poem comes from seeing dandelions yesterday in a very short walk and then 28 degrees last night and waking with a cold this morning. A spring cold. 

I learned that the word dandelion comes from Old French, dent-de-lion (lion's tooth), that dandelions actually are considered a healing herb (especially to soothe the stomach), so perhaps dandelion tea is called for, or a beer at The Dandelion Pub in Philadelphia. 

And, of course, that "L" word, lollygagging, meaning to waste time aimlessly, a goal I have not achieved.


Read what others have written to celebrate April, National Poetry Month:  
NaPoWriMo at http://www.napowrimo.net/participants-sites/  
A-Z Challenge at http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/p/2013-to-z-challenge-sign-up-list.html

3 comments:

  1. Great poem, such a shame you awoke with a cold, hope it goes away quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lollygagging is a great word.

    I too have a 'spring' cold. First we need to get spring here. Just say'n.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the word lollygagging - but I, too, hardly ever seem to do it...

    ReplyDelete