Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Thursday, April 04, 2013

D is for Delight . . .

When I write, I relax into almost meditation, a focus on other than myself, the routine of early morning driving the day's writing goals into something that wasn't there before. And so, 

I write in delight,
always somewhat surprised
to see words
arrange themselves
on the page.
Writing drives me to detail
that single, lost Canada goose 
heading south last night in the dusk,
alone, honking, 
as if the sound alone
would bring him back to the flock
somewhere ahead of him,
a plaintive call and yet
spring awaits.
I can see him landing
on a wide, cool pond,
far from human eye,
where there, among the reeds,
he finds his own delight.

Canada geese along the Spokane River (Wikipedia)
Most days I work on editing (and writing) my historical fiction. Only in April do I challenge myself with a poem a day. And now to work! May your week go well.





8 comments:

  1. I love geese. We used to have a farmers corn field a few blocks from my home. I loved hearing them honking over head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the last line, 'finds his own delight' wouldn't that be nice if we could do that in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea! You are doing poems too! This is the first year I've done this and it is so fun! Thanks for visiting our blog. http://citymusecountrymuse2012.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed this goose portrait; he's learning things that we could all use. Thank you, Beth. xoA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting change of pace! I used to write a lot of poetry. Maybe I should get back to it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, light, and sweet. Thank you for bringing spring into my day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true. There is nothing more delightful than being happy with what you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just stopping by from the A-Z challenge to say hi :)

    Great post honey, good luck with the rest of the challenge!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete