Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Thursday, April 27, 2023

NaPoWriMo April 27: While the cat's away . . .

While the cat's away, or so they say,
I should play, not stay still, lost in thought,
but I never knew a cat who cared about
tomorrow, that long to-do list,
or what to fix for dinner.
My cat had the most amazing personality,
he would climb up on my desk
as if it were his second home,
nuzzling me away from student papers,
purring for attention. I guess that's a kind
of play, just petting the cat, enjoying that moment
when he tipped his head into my hand
for more. Once, my cat brought me a gift,
a tiny mouse. I wasn't sure whether to
laugh or mourn that shortened life,
and wondered anew if mice did play.
Yet I talked to my cat and felt he listened.
Sadly, cats don't live as long as humans,
for even eighteen years is a long life for a cat.
Just one afternoon, I came home from school
to find him laying on the sofa. 
He lifted his head,
too tired to jump down or greet me.
Who knows the inner life of a cat?
I still remember in spite of all that. 
I never felt that I should play . . . 
while my cat was away.

Image by K L from Pixabay

Today's poetry challenge from David Brewer at Writer's Digest, is to write an anapodoton poem. David explains that an anapodoton is an unfinished phrase that a person can fill in the blanks, phrases like "When in Rome," "If life gives you lemons," "Speak of the devil," and "Where there is a will." I chose, "When the cat's away, the mice will play." 

With only 3 days left in April, that means only 3 more poems to write! (Or maybe 5, because somehow I did miss 2 days). One of the reasons I do like this poetry challenge to write a poem every day for a month (aargh!), really is because it gives me a little quiet time for reflection. Not that I feel my poetry is all that good, but I enjoy exploring words and memories -- and hope you enjoy reading the results!

For more inspiration for your own writing, see David Brewer's poetry prompts for April HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment