Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Thursday, April 13, 2023

NaPoWriMo April 13: No fret . . .

No fret. I'll get
better every day. Even when
the news splatters despair into each day.
When did we get so violent? Was it truly Covid, that
enforced stay-at-home led us to want to break out,
break in, break down, break up?
I'd rather see a big brake on it all.
In fact, a confession. I don't watch the news anymore.
Can I stop what others do?
Not really. Not even to pick up the pieces
of broken lives or to soothe children
from night terrors, their innocence shattered
for they know how it feels to hide in a classroom,
to prepare for the unknown, someone else's anger,
maybe their own. In my generation, we were carefully taught
to put our heads on our fifth grade desks,
to cover our necks with our arms,
in case of a nuclear attack. Really?
I ask you, really?
Something needs to change.
No fret. I'll get through this day
and the next, even if I'm hiding.
What can any of us do in the time we have left?
Maybe, once again, we could be inspired by Kennedy,
who said we choose to do things
". . . not because they are easy,
but because they're hard."

Image from Noname_13 on Pixabay





1 comment:

  1. WOW! Once again thank you for your words. What can any of us do? We can be hopeful, watchful, thankful, and we can help others who cross our paths. We can still make a difference in our own small way.

    ReplyDelete