Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Thursday, June 29, 2023

A Doggone Mystery . . .

 Today, temps are heading toward 93F, and I'm deep in a new project. 

Not that I've given up on other projects . . . yet . . . but I found myself wanting to write something just for fun. I woke up dreaming about a woman on the run (Caterina) and the dog (Max) who befriends her. What's the first step? Making a 'maybe' cover and drafting that story outline and character back stories. So, what do you think? 

So far I've learned a lot about golden retrievers, the most popular name for dogs in 2023, and I have an exciting 600 words.

About that title: Max to the Rescue: A Doggone Mystery is my working title. But what about: Chasing Shadows, Unleashed Pursuit, A Fugitive's Friend, Paws of Fate, or Unleashed Destiny? All followed by A Doggone Mystery. Or these titles could be for Book 2. Am I an optimist? 

I do love dogs, but we travel too much to have one, and somehow the idea of walking a dog in 20F and in the snow isn't appealing. 

My most memorable dog story happened when I took a Policy Academy class for 6 weeks (background gathering for my first novel). During one session, an officer brought in his German Shepherd and talked about working with police dogs. He allowed the dog to wander the somewhat large class of about 40 people. That dog strolled confidently and alone around the group until he came to me. He stopped and looked at me most intently. Then he put his head and paw on my lap and stayed until I snapped my finger and said "Down." After the class, the officer came to me and apologized. He said he had never seen his dog act that way before. I can't account for the dog's friendliness. I don't wear perfume. Can't think of anything really, except I do love dogs. And maybe that's why I'm writing this story.

Other news: We're recovering from a truly nasty cold that lasted over 3 weeks. Today I took my first walk, only 15 minutes, and I'm writing again. All's good. Hubby's about 2 weeks behind me, given the severity of his cough.

For your reading pleasure: I recently finished Nick Wilford's Black & White. This dystopian novel is quite entertaining as it explores the growing friendship between Wellesbury and Ezmerelda, high school mates in a truly perfect world. In fact, their world is so perfect that it’s all white. No dirt anywhere. Even food is sanitized. These friends might just be a little bored with everything all the same; every day's mapped out with an expected routine. And then a boy mysteriously appears in their perfect world. He’s smudged with mud, and he’s sick. 

Thus begins this tale that intrigues the reader as we slowly learn who made this perfect world and what the costs were and are. At the heart are the choices Wellesbury and Ezmerelda make to bring about change – at great risk. This book brings into sharp focus how the choices we make every day separate us or create community. A thoughtful read with unexpected twists -- currently free on Amazon

And that's all for this week. May you enjoy this warmer weather and stay cool!





3 comments:

  1. WOW, I love the story about the police dog choosing you, and now I can't wait to read your completed story. I like "Unleashed Pursuit" and "Paws of Fate." I think "Unleashed Pursuit" is the more exciting title. Go for it! I am a fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, thank you, Sandy, for visiting and supporting this crazy writing journey that just keeps getting more interesting! Maybe we can get together this summer?

      Delete