Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Thursday, June 15, 2023

Remembering Cormack McCarthy

 I have never read one of Cormack McCarthy's books. Widely recognized as a powerful writer of dystopian fiction, I always put reading even one of his books off. OK, so he wrote deep stuff, and I respected his thoughtful efforts. I loved the movie adapted from his novel, No Country for Old Men. But, the shoe didn't seem to fit. 

Until this morning. David Brewer, of Writer's Digest fame, sent out a newsletter highlighting 15 Lasting Quotes From The Road, by Cormack McCarthy. Fourteen of these quotes were too depressing for me, but this one, highlighted above, spoke loudly to me.

For what do we all do but make promises to ourselves in hopes of creating a better tomorrow? To dream of what could be? What provokes us to take just that small step forward?

Image from Robert Brewer


No comments:

Post a Comment