Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Friday, October 18, 2013

October 18: Dylan twice . . .

Have the courage to write badly,
sadly
I cannot write at all today.
My feet hurt.
But badly, baldly forward I go
into what good night?
Must be 30 shades of something,
perhaps then
it, there, was, to be, when
Bob Dylan's nasal whine
cut through time,
wine, rhyme,
melting syllables.
Dark chocolate drips
lies along my tongue.
I waited too long, but
I have you, babe.

Today's prompt from Octpowrimo was to write a truly bad poem. So far only 14 people have the courage to do so AND post a link.
Joan Baez and Bob Dylan 1963
(Wikipedia)

For me what makes truly bad poetry is plagiarism, intentional or not, so I've got two lines "aslant" from the two artists named Dylan.

My favorite poem, Dylan Thomas' "Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night," reminded me of my favorite singer from the 1960s on -- Bob Dylan. I never cared that he went electric.

Both were impossibly young when they wrote poetry/songs that forever changed several generations, and I still love their work.
Dylan Thomas  c.1939
Source BBC

My praise poem is, I think, truly bad. Maybe I should have used rap format. Then what is bad would have been waaay bad.

More about Dylan Thomas here.

More about Bob Dylan here.

Read what other writers have written for OctPoWriMo here.




4 comments:

  1. It was cheesy, but fine cheese like Roquefort. Liked weaving both Dylans in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon that even your bad days are pretty good, poetry-wise. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:38 AM

    So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made me chuckle, Beth. Thank you, courageous woman. xoA

    ReplyDelete