Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Oct 2: Poetry hides . . .

Poetry hides
in some elusive spot
between my fingertips and
that landscape now
stretching
out

before me.
Outside the sun rises,
bright against the darkest night
when my heart goes
wand'ring
down

I turn
to pink skies dawning,
the earth twirls in its own dance;
my poem takes its
journey
home

Camel Butte, Monument Valley (Camp 2007)
Today's prompt asks us to discover where poetry hides. Just for fun, I played with structure, so this poem follows syllables-per-line in this order: 4-5-7-4-2-1. I haven't written poetry in quite a while. I like to tie a poem to a photograph. Somehow the photo in my mind that would match this poem is more of swirling sunrises, yet this picture taken in Monument Valley catches the sense of journey and seeming simplicity. And this was a fun way to begin the day.

Read what others have written for this month-long challenge at OctPoWriMo here.

Are you writing a poem a day for October?