Wednesday, October 07, 2026

IWSG: Is AI everywhere . . . even for writers?

Fall is certainly here. I can see it in the leaves, now brilliant red and yellow against the last green of summer as we wander along our favorite path at Manito Park. Each day we cherish for next week, temperatures will drop into the mid-50s.

October begins with Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) challenge question: 
"Many people are calling for writrs who use AI to disclose it. Most who employ ghostwriters do not admit it - Do you think authors who use ghostwriters should have to disclose that too?"

Oh, I have opinions! Yes, we should disclose any use of AI or ghostwriters. That just seems obvious. 

Just as an aside, Amazon now requires we do disclose any use of AI in generating text, images, or editing when we upload a new book. They say this is for informational purposes, but the writer's submission will not go forward until that question is answered.

Do I have personal experience with AI? 

Yes! I discovered a program that would help me, an indie writer, make covers -- in seconds. The first time I used Stratira to create a cover for my new September 2026 release Honeymoon in Egypt, I fell in love with the cover, and everyone just says "Wow! How did you do that." 

Somehow that cover captured everything I was hoping for. Yes, I did input title, author, and a few words describing the theme, but that cover generated in seconds???

What was next was a makeover for my Standing Stones series, historical fiction set in 1840s Scotland and Australia. Once again, I was awed by the resulting covers, far better than what I'd been able to scrounge together in the past. Here's the result:


In fact, if we use search on Google, we all are using AI if we read that opening blurb, generated by AI. So helpful, but I like to scroll right on down to the original source. At least AI is using footnotes -- for now.

So to return to the original question: Should we disclose our use of AI, my response is simply if we do not -- if we do not use integrity to show the sources of our work, what will AI become as it learns from our actions? Is our own original work safe? I already don't think so and at times, I'm grateful to be OTA (older than average), for these issues will continue to dominate how we research, write, and express our creativity as well as how we make it available to others. 

Persevere in your unique writing and may this Fall 
bring you new insights, more words, and courage to face the future. 
I'm looking forward to reading your post! 


ABOUT IWSG: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day when about 80 IWSG followers can choose to respond to this month's question. Special thanks to Melissa Maygrove for challenging us to think about AI and to Alex Cavanaugh for continuing to lead us. Please visit others in our group CLICK HERE and connect with your fellow writers. Try for a dozen new people each time - and return comments. This group is all about connecting!

The awesome co-hosts for the October 7 posting of the IWSG are Ronel Janse van Vuuren, Liza at Middle Passages, JH Moncrieff, and Jemima Pett! Why not visit them as well?







14 comments:

  1. I'm afraid you're right about the future being dominated by this kind of discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least we're talking about the risks at the national level . . . for now. I can't even imagine what kind of overview would truly protect us all and just hope I'm not being paranoid. Read lots of science fiction when I was younger.

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely post for such an unsettling subject. Love the cover for your new release! Thanks for the tip :-) I doubt any of us who wouldn't want our work stolen would knowingly use an app that does just that. I hope we continue to talk about it and never let our guards down. Have a wonderful Fall season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every day is really pretty just now with the changing leaves. Thank you for visiting. Everyone seems uncertain about IA which means we should maybe stay informed and aware. Looking forward to visiting your post!

      Delete
  3. I really love your new cover. I think it's an example of how Al can assist us on non-creative writing tasks. I've started using it a bit for SEO advice to increase Literary Rambles' rankings on Google.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting how useful AI can be in so many different contexts. This month's question is really drawing out a range of responses. And thank you for that positive feedback on the new cover! I do love it too!

      Delete
  4. Yes, we all enjoy those AI generated summaries on Google. They often make more sense than the articles from which they were derived, especially when you’re working out how to do something on the computer. But AI doing the writing is something else entirely.

    Btw I do love your book cover. I will make a note of Stratira.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still remember those early days when computers first started being used in the workplace. Not everyone was comfortable. Some feared computers would take away jobs. Instead, new jobs emerged to help folks understand and use those computers. Maybe the same thing will happen with AI, though I still get stuck on that aspect of AI that is self-learning.

      Delete
  5. Some impressive covers for AI
    I don't even use Google to search anymore and search only through AI. It is interactive and I can have a discussion with it, leading to better answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, at the same time, giving AI more insight into how to 'help' people research! Interesting. I'm noticing how almost humanizing that comment is about 'having a discussion with' AI. But Google takes us there too! As my sister says, "This will be interesting!"

      Delete
  6. I turn off or ignore AI anywhere, including Google. It's often inaccurate, and I've fielded one too many people citing the AI summaries as a source when they're dead wrong. I'm not enjoying this timeline, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, if you want to do a guest post on my blog, feel free to email me at thewarriormuse at gmail dot com. Maybe a write up of an experience in Egypt that inspired a scene in the book?

      Delete
  7. Love your covers, the new one and the old ones revamped. They are all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the gorgeous fall photos, Beth! (I notice you had a nice one for September too). Since moving to Mexico, fall is one thing I definitely miss, and it's hitting me harder this year for some reason.

    One of the first things I thought when I saw your blog was, "What a gorgeous cover!" I had no idea it was AI. Your other covers look great too.

    I will say, be careful with AI "footnotes". A lot of them are incorrect and have nothing to do with the topic you Googled.

    ReplyDelete