Tuesday, September 24, 2024

September Reflections

The last few months have been challenging . . . but September brings the beginning of  a riot of colors, summer heat finally cools, and we're looking forward to my favorite holiday of the year -- Thanksgiving, with much to be thankful for.

Writing. I'm closer and closer to drafting the final scenes of Unleashed Pursuit. That story about a female police officer on the run who's befriended by a County Sheriff and his German Shepherd, Max. And I now have three beta readers (two with police backgrounds) eager to read. Revision has also started, thanks to my Thursday Zoom critique group. I never imagined how helpful they would be! 

Call for Beta Readers: If you'd like to be one of my beta readers or would like to recieve an Advance Review Copy, just let me know.

Also, what do you think of the cover? Does it make you want to pick up this book? This cover photo of 'Max' was taken by a Ukrainian living near Kyiv who's suffering from the war. His 'Max' was injured in shelling.

What I'm reading. It's no secret that my favorite reading just now is escapist fiction. Especially romantic suspense, science fiction, sometimes even horror, with Matthew Doggett's Undead Dawn, an apocalyptic tale about zombies, nuclear war, and that struggle for survival -- somehow with both grace and humor. Also this month, I could not put down Mitch Albom's Finding Chika, a moving tribute to faith, hope, and how one man confronts the severe illness of a young child from Haiti. 

Family. After two months of severe sciatica, Allen is finally healing. He can smile now and walk (up to fifteen minutes). And, he's reading again. A lot to be thankful for here.

Just in case you don't think I'm busy, think quilting! Allen took me to a fabric garage sale, and I found this amazing stack of African themed fabric that someone had already cut into strips (quilters will know what that means). So, no pattern, but just like writing, I start with one long strip of fabric, match it with sympathetic colors and other strips, enjoying that balance between shape and rhythm and culture. Here's a snippet of what will be a quilt one day. 


May you enjoy every moment of fall and find some time to nurture yourself!

Manito Park, Spokane



4 comments:

  1. I hope your challenging times are over. It's great that you're at the beta read stage of your manuscript. I like the cover because it ties in with the theme of the woman police officer being befriended by Max.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your feedback. Just almost there . . . and hoping to be beta read stage by Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE your cover! It is perfect. I can't wait to get your book! Thanksgiving is hands-down my FAVORITE holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, you're now on my ARC team. Looking forward to sharing this story with you!

      Delete