Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Thursday, October 13, 2016

#13: When I quilt . . .

Bear quilt in progress (Fall 2016)

When I quilt, all else fades,
the colors shift, and square by square,
something new emerges.
Sometimes my quilts are made for others;
their colors, their style permeates
that bed cover, king-sized for newlyweds
with years ahead.
Sometimes my little flannel-backed quilts
go to warm strangers. 
Once in a while, I slide away from pattern,
building something new. Each
square completed takes me to the next.
I sigh, delighted by fabric and design,
and dream of farway places where
a bear floats atop a fantastic moon.  


Today's prompt for OctPoWriMo asks us to respond to Alan W. Watts' comment: "The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance." 

This week has been fraught with worry as Hurricane Matthew moved up the eastern coast, the aftermath of the political debate reached a new low, and both my granddaughters sickened enough to puke. Usually, my writing keeps me feeling centered so that I can be calm, energetic, and 'join the dance.' But that daily writing requires emotional and mental focus. When I quilt, all else fades . . .

Stop by HERE to see what others have written.

No comments:

Post a Comment