Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Thursday, August 17, 2023

Write...Edit...Publish: A Summer Taste of Chocolate . . .

 Just in time, here is my flash fiction post for the August prompt from Write...Edit...Publish:


Chocolat

I sat on the somewhat lumpy swinging chair on the veranda, hoping no one would find me. Ever since Wanda Jane began the tradition of afternoon tea, I wanted to hide. If you didn’t want to drink any of the teas she provided, from mint to ginger to green, she did offer hot cocoa. But that was nothing like the chocolat chaud we tasted in Paris. Allen wasn’t here with me now, to tease me about the lumps in the cocoa or even Wanda Jane’s officiousness, as she moved around the tables, offering hot water to dilute the chocolate.

So long ago, yet that had been our first time in Paris. We walked to the top of the Eiffel Tower, entranced by the fireworks at the end of the day, the flashes of color every bit as bright as the city lights arrayed below us. We rented a small pension, five flights up a circular stone stairway with no elevator. I smiled. No way could I walk up those stairs now. How many museums we wandered then, even that small Picasso Museum, a little out of the way in the Marais District with its rows of 17th Century houses.

We found Van Gogh’s last self-portrait at the Musée d'Orsay. A tour guide set a fast pace as she led a crowd of some forty tourists past us, pointing to the left and the right. We simply stood in one place, drinking in every moment as if we had nowhere else to be. What a joy it was to be an independent traveler.

Ah, I wouldn’t go on that long flight without him. Better to sip the hot cocoa and remember. If I close my eyes, I can still see him before me, holding out that steaming cup of rich, hot chocolate, embellished with crème, and beside it, an unforgettable crusty, warm croissant, and saying, “One day, we’ll return to Paris, my love. Even if only in our memories.”

Word Count: 437 (FCA)



About Write...Edit...Publish...  Every other month, writers are encouraged to post a flash fiction and read what others have written. You can go HERE to see more about the guidelines. 

As you may have guessed, this month's prompt was inspired by that deliciously romantic movie, Chocolat! NOTE: For this August prompt, the deadline is August 16-18. 

I barely made this deadline between problems with internet access and problems accessing files saved by that useful but sometimes frustrating iCloud! But you can still participate. A lovely prize awaits you. See DETAILS HERE.

And if writing flash fiction is new to you, Denise Covey has written a stunning and helpful 'how to' that features her take on the prompt, chocolat. Read it HERE.

HERE'S ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY FOR WRITERS: You may want to submit to WEP's upcoming 2024 FLASH FICTION ANTHOLOGY (release approximately May, 2024). Submissions are due by December 31, 2023, with DETAILS HERE.

NOTE: That inspirational picture of chocolat seen just above my flash fiction came from BarTalks.net with their fascinating and detailed discussion of how to make the best cappuccino! This might be fun to try once we're back home. 

May you enjoy every day of these last days of summer.





29 comments:

  1. Those precious memories are bitter sweet indeed. Beautifully told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading -- and somehow 'bitter sweet' reminds me of chocolate. :)

      Delete
  2. So glad you got this posted - it's a delight! Thank goodness we have our memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jemi. Personally, I thought it was very close to a miracle I got this posted!!!!

      Delete
  3. Bittersweet and snug. It took me home to so many memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sonia. May your good memories nurture you.

      Delete
  4. A lovely memory. I have a few of those. I sometimes wonder if I'll make any more. Things have been quite a struggle for a long time. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I agree. This month-long trip to Canada is a kind of test to see if we truly can travel, and what we've learned so far is that life at our current age is so very different than what we shared nearly 50 years ago. I hope your own lovely memories ease your struggle.

      Delete
  5. “One day, we’ll return to Paris, my love. Even if only in our memories.” Love this. Sometimes it's hard to return to a shared memory alone, but on the other hand, to go and relive wonderful memories can be a life-saver.

    Loved this Beth. You have captured the essence of chocolate in a poignant way. Love the juxtaposition of lumpy watered-down cocoa with the very decadent chocolat chaud in Paris. Love the musee d'orsay descriptions too. Took me back. I was entranced by art students copying the Monet's the times I visited. All great memories I wonder if I'll ever relive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise, for noting that balance between being and becoming. Yes, I was almost jealous of those young students surrounded by all those rich paintings, yet focused on what truly mattered, building their own art. I'm glad you liked this one.

      Delete
  6. And forgot to say Beth, thank you for promoting our anthology!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! It's an exciting project.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful and nostalgic. A lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Beth - so sad, yet so true ... our memories - thankfully we have those and can remember. Also the lumpy cocoa from days gone past - that thought I can forget! Nostalgic take on 'Chocolat' - Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, HiIlary, for stopping by. Yes, that lumpy chocolate. And then my husband found me something called a 'frother' that mixes up my morning espresso!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful memories, beautifully shared. Thank you. I am in awe of the love and memories shared in such a short piece and so perfect for the prompt. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Yolanda. Your comment really cheered me up this afternoon. Thank you for that positive feedback!

      Delete
  10. Anonymous1:22 AM

    HI, Beth, Here us Pat Garcia. I can only sign in as Anonoymous on your site. Here is my comment; a very poignant piece. I love the lines at the ending; one day we‘ll return to Paris. Even if only in our memories.
    Excellent piece for the WEP. Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Pat. Not sure why you can only sign in as anonymous, but I appreciate your perseverance and thank you for your kind thoughts. Perhaps we all have fond memories inspired by chocolate!

      Delete
  11. Aren't we all so blessed to have memories that make us happy when we need to!?
    So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shilpa. May your own good memories nurture you.

      Delete
  12. Such sweet, sad memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dolorah, for visiting, reading, and commenting. Yes, the memories and the chocolate are sweet!

      Delete
  13. Beautiful, nostalgic flash! Took me back to Paris instantly - I love the Musee D'Orsay! You've summed up the links between memory and chocolate perfectly. Lovely take on the prompt. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nilanjana. Thank you for your kind comments. I loved the prompt partly because it brought back so many memories of Paris, not the least being the Musee D'Orsay. I also loved those little tables on side streets where you could sip coffee in tiny cups (probably espresso!) and simply admire those passing by. May it not be too long before we can all visit Paris once again.

      Delete
  14. Reflective and nostalgic - beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful. Sweet sad memories. But she does have the memories and they are vivid, so she can visit Paris anytime she wants.
    How wonderful, French hot chocolate AND French croissants! Pure delight!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So lovely and beautiful

    ReplyDelete