Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Thursday, August 17, 2023

Vacation . . .

 

Here's the view from our temporary apartment at The Swan's Pond on Vancouver Island. I don't think I've ever simply sat on a swinging settee to simply enjoy the view without a round of tasks prompting me to work. The morning quiet was marred only by the trickle of water at a nearby pond and an occasional passing flock of Canada geese. So far this morning, I've seen three young deer scampering along a woodland trail across the way. This is our home for the next month, and barring a limited kitchen (hot plate?), I think we'll do just fine.

Yesterday, we walked about 5 minutes over to a nearby cove to discover a winding path through a sunlit forest of pine, cedar, and eucalyptus. Once at the cove, we discovered giant granite rocks to climb on and a series of little beaches overlooking Nanoose Bay. We should not have climbed on those rocks! We are too old. But the view of the cove before us, once again, was simply beautiful.

Overhead, another small flock of Canada geese just flew low over the patio. I guess they're headed north, and we'll need to think of winter some day soon. For now, it's enough to simply sit here on the patio, and, I guess more true than any other time, to be in the moment.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're enjoying some relaxing time not trying to work. We all need more time when we're not being productive or worrying about it. Your pictures are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie. This was a new feeling . . . the quiet is delicious and very different. Sometimes I think going 'away' leads me back home in new ways and new understandings.

      Delete