Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Friday, December 02, 2022

December begins . . . with a song

It's 20F outside just after lunch, with snow everywhere in our parking lot. Yesterday, I helped several neighbors push a woman's car stuck as she tried to leave our complex. Her tires were bald. Maybe she drove safely once she was on the main roads.

December ahead looks unusually cold, with lows expected below 10F and highs most days below freezing. That says the snow dump of 6-8 inches won't be going anywhere soon. Yet, we'll persevere, grateful for those moments that bring brightness and a renewed appreciation for each day.

A reader wrote me this week, caught up with the story of Deidre and Mac in Years of Stone. She wanted me to know she was listening to U2's song, "Van Diemen's Land," a song I'd never heard. What an amazing tribute to honor those who lived so long ago. Here's the link to the song itself on Youtube and the words from U2 (the last stanza shown here). Truly heartfelt. We can learn much from the past. Thank you, Eastern Rogue.

Hold me now, oh hold me now
Till this hour has gone around
And I'm gone on the rising tide
For to face Van Diemen's Land.

As December begins, I'm grateful for so many things. Some days, yes, I struggle with writing, to tell the stories that keep talking to me. Family, friends, and fans near and far, I hope your December brings you only joy.

4 comments:

  1. Until I met you and read Years of Stone, I had never heard of Van Diemen's Land. It must have been heartbreaking and terrible to men ripped from the ones they loved. Your Stone series is riveting. For those who have not read them, my only suggestion is dive in! Wonderfully written and beautifully told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy, for stopping by on such a cold, snowy evening! Hope you enjoy Thursday's 6-8 inches more! Happy December.

      Delete
  2. Now that is cold. This year has been much colder here as well, and I dread my heating bill when they fill my propane tank. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay warm! Each cold day makes me appreciate the warmth inside. And my driving skills are improving! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well!

      Delete