Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Wednesday, February 02, 2022

IWSG: Did it begin with a poem?

The first Wednesday of every month brings the Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG)'s writing challenge. Here is our opportunity -- as writers -- to share our thoughts, struggles, and dreams, perhaps to encourage ourselves as much as we wish to encourage others!

ISWG's question this month is a doozy and took me way back: Is there someone who supported or influenced you that perhaps isn't around anymore? Anyone you miss?

I thought instantly of my aunt. She changed my life. Irrevocably. And there's no easy way to write about it. 

My mother, a beautiful and charismatic woman, said, "We never talk about what happens at home." 

I didn't, and I still don't easily share. I grew up in a family of chaos and alcohol. When I was about 11, my stepfather beat my mother. My sister and I lay in bed, terrified and helpless. Sometime in the early morning, he brought her into our room and said, "Take care of your mother." We wiped the blood off her bruised face and did our best. Roughly nine months later, we had a baby sister. That didn't stop the drinking. But Seattle had a serious recession back in the 1950s, so Wayne joined the Air Force, and we were relieved. For a time. But the next year was chaotic, for mother loved to party. When Wayne returned from Okinawa, stationed in Arizona, mother asked us if we should move south. We looked at each other, not eager to spend any more time in a foster home. How could life get any worse? We said, "Yes!"

We drove down to Glendale, just outside Luke AFB, and settled into our new home. They still drank and fought. Then, Wayne moved out, and mother got a job as a bar girl. All was reasonably well until the night he broke down our front door with an axe. "Don't worry, girls," said mother. "Everything's fine." The next morning, he was still there and just before we left for school, he began arguing with mother. I cut between them, but again, mother intervened. "Just go to school, girls." We did, but I stopped and called the cops on the way.

My sister, one year younger, was pregnant and getting married. I didn't have a clue. I had dreams of college, but no hope. My high school counselor on that mandatory meeting before graduating, asked me, "You look like a very nice girl. When are you getting married?"

So what does this have to do with my aunt? She came to Glendale to visit with her new husband (a dentist), just before I graduated from high school. I wrote poetry and short stories and shared a poem with my aunt. The first verse:

There's no such thing as a future
whether good or bad;
There's only the past taunting you
with things you've never had.

A few weeks later, my aunt called and invited me to live with her in northern California to go to community college there. I left Arizona and never looked back. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I had stayed -- but college opened up so much more. Libraries. People who cared about learning. Yes, it did take me about ten years working full-time and going to school part-time to finally earn my four-year degree, but without my aunt, someone who practiced art every day, I would never have gone to college. 

She died, nearly a decade ago, but her paintings hang in my home, and I remember her generosity and her nurturing. She is part of the reason I write nearly every day. 

I have no one lesson, really. Except my fiction tends to be about characters who struggle with seemingly unsurmountable odds -- and yet survive. I hope this bit of my history helps you reappreciate where you have come from, what you've accomplished, and re-vision those dreams you have for the future.

Now, consider joining in by writing your own monthly blog post for the Insecure Writer's Support Group? You could answer this month's question, go visit 10-12 other folks (see the links HERE), and celebrate your own writing progress! Why not visit and thank our co-hosts for this month: Joylene Nowell Butler, Jacqui Murray, Sandra Cox, and Lee Lowery!

As our Ninja leader, Alex J. Cavanaugh says:
 Let's rock the neurotic writing world!


22 comments:

  1. Your life has certainly been challenging. I'm so glad you had your aunt in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my post and stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Well, Beth, you have a lot to write about, and your aunt helped give you the tools. How fortunate she came into your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Thank you, C. Lee, for appreciating my aunt's gift.

      Delete
  3. So sorry for what you went through as a child. I'm so glad your aunt stepped in when she did and changed your life in good ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie. What we experience as children shapes us in unexpected ways. Looking back now I can appreciate anew my aunt's gifts.

      Delete
  4. What an amazing post, Beth. The best tribute to your aunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olga. I appreciated your note and your own tribute to your father.

      Delete
  5. Well, so much for floodgates. This is heart wrenching, Beth. Your story nearly mirrors mine, though I've not been able to write about it. God bless your aunt, and my grandmother. My parents divorced when I was 2. I met my dad again when I was 12, and he was finally stationed stateside. But by then so much had happened in both our lives that getting to know each other took a long, long time. I get the "writing bug" from him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Diedre. Thank you for your comment. You may write about this one day. I've spent decades in silence. Somehow, this month's IWSG question led me to simply say what once was. I am forever grateful to my aunt for opening the chance to a life very different. I hope your relationship with your father continues to grow.

      Delete
  6. Thank goodness for loving aunts. So glad you had yours! @samanthabwriter from
    Balancing Act

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Samantha, for visiting and commenting. Yes, loving aunts!

      Delete
  7. You are courageous to have persevered and found your own way, made easier by your aunt. I’m breathing slowly and deeply thinking about what you have shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jamie, Thank you for commenting! I didn't expect to see you here, but I appreciate your friendship and know we will talk. Courage takes many forms; I respect yours as well.

      Delete
  8. Oh Beth, you inspire. Thank you for sharing that terrible pain. I can see why you develop strong women characters who have to fight for their survival. What a blessing to have had your aunt in your life. Keep writing and fighting for excellence. Thank you for a peek into your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Sandy. Thank you for commenting! While writing this post wasn't easy, somehow it seemed a necessity, to end silence, and hopefully, to show diversity. For we all share dark times, and if we can, we can bring hope.

      Delete
  9. Hi,
    I am so glad that I get your posts in my email. I always look for them when I am going through the IWSG list, but you usually post yours after I have left the list to do some writing.
    I am so glad that you had an aunt that reached out to help you. That was real caring. That is what made the difference in your life and gave you the courage and the strength to stick to going through college and everything else you had to face and also the things that you are still facing today. Who cares if it took you ten years to get your degree. The main thing is that you didn't give up. You kept going and I admire that tremendously.

    Thank you so much for sharing a part of yourself, and do take care during the pandemic.

    Shalom aleichem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pat, Thank you for your sweet note. Of course, some might say I'm just stubborn, quiet but stubborn. Tenacious? And stubborn. I did love teaching because I could in small ways, help others. Maybe the same now through writing, truly an anchor during these days of pandemic.

      Delete
  10. Oh, Beth, how brave of you to share your terrible anguished childhood. The poem you showed your aunt had to have torn her heart. She was a special lady to invite you to live with her ... and her with a new husband yet!

    Alcohol is a bane to so many families. My own alcoholic father deserted me alone when six on the street in Detroit known as Skid Row. It was 6 grim weeks before I was reunited with my mother.

    It is no accident that one of my recurring characters is Victor Standish, a street orphan.

    To still have some of your Aunt's paintings is wonderful. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your story. As hard as it can be to confront the past, I do believe the writing brings healing. I will check out your stories and cannot imagine what those six weeks were like when you were so young. Thank goodness, your mother persevered.

      Delete
  11. Your aunt was such a lovely woman. You evidently take after her in your artistic spirit and lovely smile. It's wonderful that you have her paintings. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth. Yes, her paintings are a treasure as was her love of making art, regardless of the form.

      Delete