Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Wednesday, February 09, 2022

About Maps and a Bar . . .

Just checking in on Wednesday to give you an update of writing on the road. Truly, I can only say thank goodness for the internet!

I didn't think I'd need a map to find my way around Edinburgh for Scattered Stones. After all, we had stayed in Old Town for about a month several years back. But as the story unfolds to final draft, that bar where Murphy holds court needed a specific location. The old street name (Cockburn Street) I'd pulled off a map months ago simply didn't work. What was I thinking? I can see my readers blushing even now.

So, this morning's writing session began with that great Search feature on Google Maps as I worked the neighborhoods between the two oldest railway stations in Edinburgh (Waverley and Haymarket) where Dylan and Michael worked and lived. I felt like I fell down a rat hole! After an hour of searching (and drawing a rough map), I finally found my neighborhood bar in Old Town, just off Cowgate Street, and aptly named The Three Sisters. Sadly, we never visited, but we definitely will on our next visit to Scotland. 

The Three Sisters is perfect! Nestled in a courtyard with 19th Century cobblestoned tenements on all sides, complete with tables out in the courtyard (exactly as I have described in my story) and with a stone arch, this popular bar (see picture to the right) is precisely the place where Murphy, the wardman for City Centre, would hold sway. 

Only, in my story, the bar is named the Highland Inn. Hmm. Maybe I should rename my fictional bar The Three Sisters. I'd have to ask for permission. What do you think?

Stay well. Stay safe in these hopefully waning days of Omicron. See you next week!


5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a wonderful adventure that is going to deepen your story. Not sure if you need permission to rename your bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie. Actually, I'd like to write The Three Sisters to find out their history; they just might have been at that location in the 1840s! Will update when I find out. I usually do ask permission when using 'real' names. Historical personages are a little different, though. Nice to see you here!

      Delete
  2. I love hearing about your sleuthing techniques. I think The Three Sisters sounds more authentic. I can only imagine that the real owners of The Three Sisters would be honored to have you use their Pub name in your book. AWESOME! And I know you will go back Edinburgh again. WONDERFUL! I am excited about this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra. I really do have to write them because I can't quite tell how long they've been at that location. Plus, that block pavement is not quite the dirt road or even cobblestones more commonly in use in the 1840s. It's still fun to trace down the details!

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic setting! I love Edinburgh and you can't take a step in that city without being surrounded by its rich history. I'm sure your story will be filled with details that will put the reader smack dab in that unique atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete