Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

Something beautiful happened this morning.

On its landing page, Google celebrated what would have been Israel Kamakawiwoʻole's 61st birthday with a snippet to his rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

I burst into tears at the beauty of his voice. Part of this may be related to the pandemic. After all, today marks Day 72 for our family, and aren't we all missing so much? And concerned in so many ways for loved ones and those at risk.

But part of my reaction may be that over the last few weeks, I've been struggling with my writing, hampered by too many directions to go, and, additionally, issues with publishing that seem beyond my ability to correct.

Google explains that some of the illustrations used in the video honoring Kamakawiwoʻole are actually kapa, complicated designs that carry meaning far beyond what those of us outside Hawaiian culture can understand. One stood out to me:  "The eye with no fear."

Isn't that what we need to live through these days? To face our own challenges and persevere? And so, I shall dive back into my writing, nurtured by the creativity and beauty that always surrounds us.

Rainbow on Maui, Hawaii (Staxy1 on Pixabay)

Google's video is here: https://9to5google.com/2020/05/19/israel-kamakawiwoole-google-doodle/

4 comments:

  1. Sorry that you've had some problems with the writing process. I know that your troubles will soon be wafting over the rainbow and all will be right (write!) again.

    I watched the video and it is beautiful. Have an equally beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris, for your supportive comments. Already, I'm back at work. Somehow each day, I'm relearning how to face these uncertain times, now with the belief that we have a responsibility to be actively supporting creative ways to counter the depression and sad economic realities that affect so many. May your days be beautiful as well!

      Delete
  2. I too was so moved by that beautiful voice and did some research on him. Israel, I won't attempt his last name, was active in Hawaiian nationalism. Then my son told me that he and his students were able to see him in concert in Hawaii, an experience he never forgot. As to the writing process, you will prevail. I have never know anyone with more focus than YOU. Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement and for sharing that experience your son had. I can't imagine what such a concert must have been. Iz's voice is so mellow, so simple and direct, it reaches my heart every time I hear him.

      Delete