Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Monday, August 03, 2009

Michigan in July . . .

Last night a thunderstorm,
covered the stars, darkness;
a crack of lightening sudden, complete.
I hid my weakness:
Nature doesn't patronize.

Out near Duck Lake,
I heard a loon cry this morning,
one small trill, then silence.
A barred owl sat on the fence for the longest time.
Under these Jack-pine trees, I feel safe,
safe from even the strongest rain.


NOTE: This poem is in response to Three Word Wednesday (darkness, patronize, weaken), and is the first poem I've written in a while. Perhaps it's because we've traveled across country, on our way to Philadelphia, then Scotland, and our car is loaded with boxes for three different kinds of journeys.

Today's quote on i-Google Literary Quotes widget highlights Gertrude Stein who says "In the portraits of really great writers, the mouths are always firmly closed." This made me smile. I'm a writer, not a great writer, but I'm deep in the midst of editing, editing, and even more editing. I could say the work goes reasonably well, that I'm on schedule, more or less. But every time I look at another photo of Inverness, Orkney, or Edinburgh, where we're headed in September, my heart feels lighter and lighter. I will really see these places where part of my story takes place. An amazing dream. So perhaps it's ok to hover a bit with my writing.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely poem. All the very best for your work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem. You've been busy of late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best to you. Great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather's the same here. Can't keep track of the number and the names of the typhoons dropping by to see what's good to drench here. ;) From Peru to Scotland? Whoa. And the country-hopping continues. (grin) Can't wait for your Scotland-inspired poems. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete