Wednesday, August 05, 2026

August IWSG: Up in flames . . .

 Wish I could tell you August began with just another hot day.


Source: View from bird feeder of Spokane fire

If you've seen the news, even the national news, you know that three wildfires have broken out in northern and western Spokane. One was purposefully set. The result? About 10,500 acres currently afire. Some 65,000 people evacuated. Over 700 structures destroyed.

The news is devastating, but people have rallied immediately. Firefighters and police from over 12 states and Australia. Community members and groups gathering resources -- from diapers to food to places to stay. Our mayor assembled a team of federal and state people, all committed to helping those displaced. For now, the fires are contained.

So, I haven't been writing. I live in south Spokane, some 15 miles from the disaster area. But my friends are affected, and I feel helpless. Because I really can't do much. Phone calls and e-mails, yes. Groceries, yes.

Temperatures are heating up later this week. The winds today are quieter. But the rest of August looms, bringing more fire danger to all.

My own writing is stalled. If I were to give an update, it's brief: Honeymoon in Egypt is in final review. A new story, The Cozy Quiltpatch Murder Club, is at the early draft stage, relatively untouched.

Today is officially Insecure Writer's Support Group (IWSG) day -- that monthly opportunity to check in with other writers, offer support, and cheer on our various writing projects. What I'm looking forward to is reading what other writers are doing, a true distraction, for even writing this post is stressful. Yes, my worries about others reinforces my sense of helplessness. Yes, my daughter and family are safely at the Oregon coast. But, still.

Thank you, hosts for this month. Please visit them and comment! Shannon Lawrence, Diedre Knight, Liza, and Pat Garcia!  

To comment on other IWSG writers, visit the IWSG home page here.

If you wish more information or want to help, check out this page set up by the City of Spokane. Meanwhile, be safe. May your writing -- and the rest of the summer -- go well.





22 comments:

  1. My brother is up in Idaho and was complaining about the smoke. I feel for you guys! Seriously. Sending positive vibes and virtual cheese to keep you going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Every day brings its own challenges. Hoping your brother stays safe.

      Delete
  2. So tragic, Beth. I'm in northern CA, so we know what you're going through. This weekend, we're preparing for yet another intense and dangerous high fire risk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Northern California is so beautiful. I'm hoping the weather stays dry, no lightning storms, and you stay safe.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry for what you're experiencing in Spokane, Beth. I live near Detroit, and the smoke from Canadian wildfires really affected our air quality in July. I hope you stay safe and that the fire doesn't reach your neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're about 15 miles away from the worst of the fires and stay inside when AQI hits 200. Let's hope we can all get safely through the rest of the summer -- Stay healthy and thank you for your kind thoughts.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Beth,
    we have fires in France, Spain, and Greece, and now they haven broken out in some parts of Germany. Besides that the temperatures in Germany have been unbelievable. In Fahrenheit, we've had anywhere from 95 to 102 degrees in Fahrenheit. We are not used to these kinds of temperatures in Germany'.
    Wishing you all the best.
    Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can only imagine what August will bring. May you be safe as we all figure out how to deal with this new reality.

      Delete
  5. Wild fires are such a horror, Beth. I'm sorry for you and your friends and neighbors. I hope you weather this disaster safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly, we are safe, but so many others are not, and I'm not sure we really have the resources to support all who need help. We can only try.

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry, Beth. My thoughts and prayers are with you . If you were to pick an animal you'd find seeking shelter on your doorstep, which would it be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hope for a kitten or a cat, but so far, all I've seen are deer, heading for the forest! I'm worried about all the thousands of displaced people as they carry the pets they love.

      Delete
  7. I have seen a bit of this, but I don't watch the news, so I didn't know how bad it was. I have a dear friend near Spokane, and friends in Idaho. Here in Oregon, the air is bad, but I think that's because of our own fires. Praying for those affected. Stay safe, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenni. We have friends in Oregon too. I think the air quality is an issue that will stay with us through August.

      Delete
  8. How scary! I'm glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's scary for so many that I almost feel guilty for being safe!

      Delete
  9. I feel you. It's been a fiery summer here in Colorado and our fire season never ended this past year, so we had them in the off-season, too, courtesy of no moisture over the winter (and now we're in drought due to low snow pack). I think four or five firefighters have died here this summer, which is absolutely horrifying. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you are safe but terrible for those who lost everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree wholeheartedly. I'll be going to the Food Bank on Saturday, already wondering how many people will show up and whether we'll have enough food to help everyone!

      Delete
  11. These devastating fires have totally and completely changed lives in numbers I never thought possible.
    Doing what you can from emails to food banks is deeply appreciated by folks struggling to rebuild their lives.
    And it helps the giver as they see appreciation in the eyes of the receiver.
    Thank you for posting and sharing your story with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you're safe. This is a growing problem, especially with the heatwaves we've had in Europe, so I can't imagine what compels someone to add to it. Thoughts are with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a couple of friends in Spokane. So far they're safe, but I worry about them. I'm glad you're safe but heartbroken for the people who aren't. It seems like every fire season is worse than the last.

    ReplyDelete