Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Monday, March 18, 2024

A few trip memories and . . . First Lines

Home now after 6 days on the road, driving back from Tucson. Not so easy to settle back into those familiar routines after being away for 6 weeks. I can close my eyes and see palm trees, cactus, and desert mountains, their layers outlined in red and orange and brown. Imagine walking along a winding trail in Kolob Canyon to see petroglyphs from long ago, estimated to be about 1,000 years old and made by the Anasazi or Southern Paiute. No one is quite sure how to decode these images.


Everywhere we drove along the Red Vermillion Trail, magnificent vistas of the desert near Zion greeted us:


As we stopped at the Navajo Bridge, we saw something unexpected: An American Condor entertained us by flying back and forth over the bridge before settling to sun himself on a nearby rock.


Now, home, it's time for writing. I missed participating in First Line Frenzy with Rebecca Heyman of Reedsy last Wednesday. We were driving through an unexpected snowstorm, near Coeur d'Alene. So, this morning, I discovered an older blog post highlighting her reactions. An interesting read. Here are my first lines from Unleashed Pursuit:

Cat unlocked the door between the two apartments and led the young girl clutching her four-month-old baby inside. “You’ll be safe here. Just stay one hour, and then . . ..” Cat pushed a slip of paper into her hand. “Go to this address. They’ll take care of you.”

If you enjoy reading gritty mysteries, would this pull you in? As I reread it, my editing head starts listing questions . . . so this may not be the final opening. But isn't that the way some of us write? First the concept, a few scenes, then more scenes, plot holes, duplications, and revision. Lots of revision. Wouldn't an outline help? Funny to mention as that's my next challenge, especially since I'm stuck on the ending and have been for awhile.
  • Does the story end with HEA, hero and heroine finally together?
  • What remains unresolved between them? With the case they've worked on?
  • What changes have either made? What lessons learned? How have they healed (if they did)?
  • Do they remain committed to their previous lives -- both in different locations? If they are ready to move, which one will make that sacrifice?
As you can see, much more work is needed on this draft, currently at about 49K. Luckily, mornings are perfect for digging in.  May your day go well.

3 comments:

  1. I can't imagine traveling for six weeks, but it sounds fun. Yes, I thought your first lines are intriguing and make me want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback on those first lines. I do love traveling -- as long as my laptop and sewing machine come with. There are so many beautiful places in our country and beyond. Gives me hope when the news is filled with ugliness and despair.

      Delete
  2. Yes, it is great that you are back and writing again. I look forward to MORE! Keep writing, I can't wait to see where you are going with this one!

    ReplyDelete