Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Tuesday, September 05, 2023

IWSG September 5: From the Beginning!

This month's Challenge Question from the Insecure Writer's Support Group took me back in time. All the way back to July 2015, just 8 years ago, and I'm already at 46 (out of 118). Go HERE to read that original entry! 

What I've appreciated most . . . is how effectively this vibrant online community connects writers who care about other writers and writing, regardless of genre or level. Each month, I appreciate not only those words from those who visit me. Visiting others who post for IWSG has introduced me to others who very quickly become mentors and friends. I feel like cheering at each success, each new book released, each challenge faced down, and I learn from each IWSG member I visit.

Writing, for me, is essentially a solitary act, even when I'm doing research. Being a part of IWSG is an important way to stay connected to others who care about writing. IWSG also creates a certain discipline for looking within, to asssess where my goals and commitment to writing are taking me. This process of reflection opens up new understandings of what is possible, what I might like to do next.

And one more resource I've become addicted to: that connection IWSG has to Write ... Edit ... Publish, an every-other-month writing challenge for flash fiction. October's prompt is inspired by the appropriately ghoulish Phantom of the Opera. Just a little different way to keep those writing wings moving.

Thank you to generous IWSG members who volunteer as hosts each month. And thank you for those who work somewhat behind the scenes to create anthologies that celebrate our work. 

I hope we all will celebrate this wonderful resource!

More words next time!

May your own writing go well.


Nanaimo Cove, Vancouver Island (Sept 2023)

Our temporary home.

About the Insecure Writer's Support Group: Our goal is to share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Each month, an optional question is posted. You can post your response on your own blog OR talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time - and return comments. This group is all about connecting! Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG.

The awesome co-hosts for the September 6 posting of the IWSG are:

Why not grab a cup of coffee, visit our co-hosts AND maybe 12 others to see what they've posted?

15 comments:

  1. Hi Beth! You've put is so well, this process of reflection opens up new understandings of what is possible, what I might like to do next. I think I'd like to say that too about this wonderful group. Happy IWSG Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words don't seem quite enough when we (and our work) is affirmed by our writing colleagues and readers! Thank you.

      Delete
  2. That's awesome that you have been a part of this group for so long. I really appreciate the friendships I have developed through this group too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie. It surprised me as well. Now, I can't think of the month beginning without being a part of IWSG!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous5:41 AM

    Hi, here is Pat Garcia. I agree. Writing is a lonely job and being a part of this group helps conquer the loneliness. All the best.
    Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I feel like I haven't really explored fully the resources IWSG brings, but what is most important is that sense of connecting to other writers -who care about writing, because truly, in that sense, we are not alone.

      Delete
  4. Write, Edit, Publish is a great resource and I'm so pleased IWSG is connected with it. Glad you find it helpful and exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is nice to have other writers to connect with since writing is usually a solitary activity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is nice to have a way to connect. Happy IWSG day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad both the IWSG and WEP have kept you connected and moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The IWSG has such a wonderful sense of community, which is hard to find in online groups.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you about the support received via IWSG. I have yet to try WEP, but perhaps in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello dear Beth. Thanks so much for mentioning my lovechild, WEP. You've dazzled us with your stories so far. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also like both IWSG and WEP. They both support and nourish writers in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a writer, there is nothing better than a writer community to help us feel normal. :)

    ReplyDelete