Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Hot Rocks on Hawaii

We drove from Hilo, all the way down to the National Volcano Park, stopping to admire the lava fields along the way; in places, they stretched from the skyline, all the way to the ocean. I was intrigued by the signs of life, for even the darkest lava fields were spotted with new growth. I'm guessing delicate ferns aren't so delicate if they could survive here! I could trace great swirls on the rocks that showed how the lava cooled.

As we stood at the rim of the volcano caldera, we could see an active pool far below, marked by steam vents and, once in a while, a tiny flare of fire. 

"Come back at night," the park guide said. "You'll see amazing views." I thought of the two and a half hour drive back to Kona that was ahead of us. We did have a peanut butter sandwich in the car, and we were tempted. For a moment.

We passed signs that reminded us when we reentered the "No Fault Zone." Of course, Allen said it wasn't my fault, but I confess to feeling a little better when we were further away from that simmering volcano. We also saw many closed shops in several small towns as we drove north once again. Covid remains rather like the lava, seemingly permanent, changing all in its path. Most people wear masks, inside and out here, more an accepted routine.  

Now in our temporary home for the next week, we swam in the pool, soaked our feet in the hot tub, watched doves settle in nearby palms, and wondered what it will feel like to go back home.

WRITING UPDATE: Not much to report. I'm working on the very last chapter of Scattered Stones, waiting for that moment that says, "Aha! I'm done!" Still feeling thankful that I can write still -- and that readers like my stories enough to leave a review now and then. 

Every once in awhile, I check Amazon to see new reviews have been posted. That brightens the morning. Brings a smile to my face, and reminds me to leave reviews for those stories I enjoy. Dear readers, THANK YOU for reading and for letting me know what you think!

READING UPDATE: Allen just finished Jason Mott's Hell of a Book, calling it an exceptional read, well written, creative, witty, and immensely satisfying. I'm reading that next!

Have a wonderful week ahead!

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures. I can see why writing isn't a priority. Enjoy the trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even on the road, writing still begins most mornings, but I'm more forgiving if I do skip now and then. I'm grateful for the pictures to kind of capture the beauty of this island. You can't see the flickers of fire deep in the caldera from the photo, but they were there, reminding us we were standing atop a volcano! Soon, we'll be home again, a little colder, but perhaps out of the snowy season!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you're having a fun trip. Hope the rest of it is good, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie! So far, so good. I'm even learning a few new recipes along the way. Delicious macaroni salad seems a staple here, and I have a mango ripening on the counter in the kitchen. Only 5 days left!

      Delete
  3. So GLAD you are enjoying your trip. Hawaii is such a treasure! Treasure every moment you have there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Sandy. Thank you as always for visiting. Mornings begin quietly here, the call of birds, a mild breeze, and warm sunshine to greet us. And television news.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Rajani, for stopping by.

      Delete