Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Wednesday, May 01, 2013

May Day poem . . .


Now the green leaves vie
with little white apple blossoms, 
and the trees sprout 
tiny parachutes of green and pink.
Even the pine trees 
offer the smallest of cones
at the tips of branches, new growth.
The red-winged blackbirds have returned,
their call half-chirp, half-melodic trill. 
I wander by the wetlands,
yesterday’s snow forgotten.
Hoping for a glimpse of a shy killdeer,
I find a yellow-beaked mallard standing guard
as his brown-feathered hen rests
in a cup-like nest among the reeds,
and I am content.

Mallards by Carl Friedrich Deiker (1875) (Wikipedia)


National Poetry Month has ended, as has my effort to write a poem a day. Yet spring has truly begun. What better way to celebrate the beginning of May than with another poem? May the sun shine and the rain fall in the proper round of seasons, bringing you joy and peace.




6 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:47 PM

    I love the image of "tiny parachutes of green and pink". I only wish it felt more like spring here in Eastern Virginia. Keep writing poems! I enjoy reading your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! I don't know why that writing poems takes me away from writing fiction, but it does. Can you believe it snowed yesterday here? Just a shower of snow for about five minutes, but by this weekend we'll be in the 70s for the first time. I'm so celebrating spring! I'll be visiting your blog shortly and hope you keep writing poems as well. Best, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I saw a red-winged black bird for the first time about two years ago. They are beautiful.

    I can not believe that it snowed. I was aghast when I saw all that white stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely poem! All the beautiful things that make me think of spring. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shucks, I wish I was sitting by a riverside...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:52 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete