Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Friday, October 24, 2008

#134 Awesome Sunday Scribblings

This week Sunday Scribblings asks us to brag. Here's the prompt: "What's awesome about you? You can pick one awesome thing, or list as many as you can. Don't be shy."

I can’t find a poem in this week’s musing. I’m finding it far easier to write about anything but myself. I like that I am a survivor. Sometimes I call myself Chicken Little and startle at the slightest noise, and yet, I know that I am strong, feisty, sometimes impatient, sometimes creative, always hard working. I can function at once in the morning, without coffee. I’m not intimidated by libraries or computers. I need very little: a library card, my laptop, my passport, five changes of clothing in a suitcase, and my dear traveling companion. Family and friends are a given.

I love my love of nature. Here, for now, Mt. Hood floats above the Columbia River, weathering this afternoon’s pink clouds, while trees along the foothills change from green to glowing yellow. Underneath a mostly mild and quiet exterior, I submerge myself in writing, a massive three-year project, storytelling, re-seeing history through shifting points of view. A glance and I’m no longer here; I’m in a different century.

I feel larger than life. I speak my own mind. If I wanted to, I could dye my gray hair to mermaid colors or bake bread. I’m thankful I do not have to say, “Why is this happening to me?” Yet, I like to think I’m not remarkable or awesome. I worry about the world, yet I still have hope in the future. I still have dreams.

13 comments:

  1. That seems a good assessment of a well balanced person to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then praise your self for your undying optimism. That is deserving of praise, and very rare these days... bravo! ;)

    I live in the foothills of Mt Hood, and the sunny skies have been absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How your writing flows! I'm sure you'll write a wonderful book and be interviewed on TV!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this, and the soul behind it, and the beautiful country around it. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:44 AM

    I love your honest writing, which is hard to do when it comes to a post about bragging :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are kindred souls on certain aspects. I enjoyed your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a gift for writing beautiful descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your prose flows like poetry. I wish my life were a bit more minimal. I love computers and libraries but am weighted down with too many THINGS. I'm thinking of dyeing my white hair pink or green.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:58 PM

    What an exquisite piece of writing.There is so much in your piece I can associate with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Modesty is worth 'bragging' about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a life you lead! One definitely to be bragging about.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love reading and writing, and I'm glad I found your page. Nice goin, Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ditto to antonynorth's and mspennylane's comments. I admire your candor.

    And, I've also enjoyed reading your poems here. I've been reading some of those previously posted: the "#129 Invitation" poem is cathartic to read; "History Lesson" blew me away with its details and the progression of the poem, from one period in time to another.

    I'll be back to read more. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete