Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Short story published . . .

Just an announcement to say that the online e-zine Fickle Muses has published one of my short stories, "Rusalka", a mermaid story set in Russia at the turn of the century. I'm beginning to wonder how we ever decide what to write about. Some writers talk about the "muse" grabbing us. I usually begin with a germ of an idea, but where it takes me is often surprising. If you go read this story, please leave a comment or sent me a note. Thank you! I'd love to hear your reactions. Beth

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Well done!
    I've printed out your story to read and savor--but in the meantime I didn't want to not send my kudos asap.
    And Russian, to boot. (I am just now reading One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful story,, and oh where your muse did take you!!! don't you just love the idea of being carried away by your own idea??? this was really delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:28 AM

    Thankyou for your comments. I'm really glad you liked the story. The more I write about mermaids, the more I realize the power of myth and experience. Many cultures have stories about mermaids. As I began writing these stories, I was drawn to writing stories about women and the sea. I just realized these stories may all be working out the death of my mother in a drowning accident from a rocky cliff by the ocean. I know I'll return to this subject of mermaids. :)

    ReplyDelete