Sunday, December 18, 2011

Visiting Tasmania . . .

So what's a writer to do when actually visiting the locale of your current work in progress is impossible? Ask if you are a visual person and jump on the internet. This panorama of paintings showing Hobart Town between 1820-1860 helped me "see" into a very different time and place where my characters live and struggle.



This day trip to Port Arthur by Tim Hoosier helps me to visualize what was once a harsh and forbidding prison. Few escaped for the wardens and guards perpetuated the idea that the waters surrounding this stubby peninsula were shark-infested.



This grisly National Geographic video highlights the dreaded Tasmanian Devil. In photos, this small cousin to the more familiar kangaroo is rather cute. But after seeing this video, I now have a scene where Mac goes out into the night to investigate what sounds like a woman screaming.



National Novel Writing Month was good to me. After a month of not writing at all (due to travel and family illness), November kicked me back. Years of Stone is now at 36,000 words and I'm facing my next challenge: Making sure the historical underpinning is dead accurate.

May your own writing go well.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, that video was grisly, but it could have been worse. I feared, near the end, the man going after them under the rock might have his hand removed.
    They do sound just awful, don't they????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ain't the internet just fantastic? I use Google Earth a lot--many places have street-level views available, and although it won't help for traveling to the past, you do get a sense of the feel of the place, how close things are to each other, etc.

    I have some friends, a Dutch guy and his Venezuelan girlfriend, that actually lived in Tasmania for a year or so, and they really liked it--they said the nature is fantastic. I do hope you get to go soon, and best of luck in the meantime with the research :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great site - you've put a lot of work into it and it makes fascinating reading.

    Good luck with the agent search, look forward to seeing the trilogy on the shelves in due course.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Your comments brighten my blog and I will return your visit. May your writing/blogging/reading inspire you. Beth