Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Sunday, August 09, 2009

#175: Osha's Star . . .

At 96, she remembers very clearly
the colors she chose, where the quilt was made
and when. Her fingers outline the pattern,
one of her own making.
She smoothes the coverlet
and notes a torn stitch that needs repair.
I start a fabric copy,
stitch and turn and stitch again,
making something new from this old quilt.
We talk of days far in the past, her life on
the oil fields of Michigan in the 1930s,
what the children said when they were small.
She smiles and remembers
and folds the quilt away.



Sunday Scribblings' prompt for something "new" seemed to fit this afternoon of talk, for this pattern will stay in my family now.

12 comments:

  1. great form of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the story, Beth.

    Last Christmas I made machine sewn quilts for my 4 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren. Made them out of my old flannel gowns that I've worn over the years. I can remember my own mother making quilts on a big frame set up in the dining room.

    Your "new" quilt blog brings back warm memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I love quilts and I am originally from Michigan. I traveled some years ago to Scotland with my mother. Seems we might have a bit of common ground :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:30 PM

    Beautiful! This reminds me of my husband's grandmother. Every year she tries to make as many quilts as she can for her grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Associations can bring back those memories. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow quilts are often equated to family memories. i adore this writing and the thought of knowing your family is very well presented

    ReplyDelete
  7. That quilt and your post are amazing. I love the flow of your words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quilts have such history. I have a few older poems I wrote about them I ought to post. Thank you for helping me remember that. Lovely poetry :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You will leave a legacy with your own new quilt. Many happy memories for you too.
    This was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quilts can be so metaphical! Lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I meant't metaphorical eeeeeeeeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The poem is compact and lovely.

    I have a couple of awards for you on my blog, in my It's done post on July 30. :)

    ReplyDelete