Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Sunday, January 18, 2009

146 A Pilgrimage

I have climbed the lower hills of the Andes
and walked in the alleys of Cairo.
I have waited in the rain
to see the works of Vincent Van Gogh in San Francisco.
I traveled to Turkey to stand in the Blue Mosque.
I’ve cranned my neck at the Sistine Chapel.
I touched the granite rocks of the pyramids at Giza.
I have heard the monkeys call, one to another, in the Yucatan peninsula, and I have climbed Mayan temples to the very top.

I have dreamed my way through books and paintings,
I have fallen in love
and have mourned the loss of those I loved.
I have held my daughter in my heart from the beginning,
I have followed stories of mermaids
and found my own place.

What a jostling pilgrimage of sorts my life has been –
an immersion into nearly five decades of work.
Even so, my memories flash all colors;
I would give up all my travels,
all my writing and remembering,
to walk with you in our own garden.

Though I found myself looking back rather than forward, what an evocative prompt from this week's Sunday Scribblings. Check out what others have thought.

6 comments:

  1. I like the poignancy you've given all your rich adventures. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:49 PM

    I loved this line, Beth:
    I would give up all my travels,
    all my writing and remembering,
    to walk with you in our own garden.
    Just loved it!
    I can think of someone I'd love to walk with again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely words and thoughts. A wonderful pilgrimage of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And what an evocative piece of writing you've contributed. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing travels! i love how you gather all these experiences into one poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:47 PM

    Lyrical and poignant.
    What a rich life you have led.
    Love the diversity you wove here.

    ReplyDelete