Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

#151 Would you trust . . .

Would you trust a jubilado
dancing in the street?
See omens in a cloud of green butterflies
settling just ahead of your path?
Stare into the red heart
of a Rose of Sharon.
Touch the points on a nettle?
Bathe your face
in the mist of a waterfall?
Look into the eyes of a stray dog
that follows you?
Count the fingers and toes
of a newborn babe?
Hear the telephone before it rings?
Dance without music?
Dream without sleeping?
Say yes before the question is asked?

This week’s Sunday Scribbling’s prompt is trust, a very difficult prompt. I wonder if we trust our ability to understand the reality that exists around us, that we perceive or define by our senses. Though I do not, or do not trust that I do, some of my relatives seem to have an extra sense. Also, jubilado is Spanish for retired person. As a relatively newly retired person, this word fascinates me for its very different connotations.

Some people have asked when Standing Stones will be finished. I do work every day except travel days, and now am revising Section 3 (out of five sections), focusing mostly on plot holes, logical connectors, and character development. I’d like these characters and their predicaments to be as real to a reader as they are to me. I hope to have one more go through for style and estimate I’ll be ready for my 3 readers by June or July, if all goes well. Six weeks in September/October brings the last bit of research and editing, so I hope to finish completely by December 2010, making it about three years overall for this novel. After that, the story’s no longer mine. Wish me well.

4 comments:

  1. Yes jubilado makes retirement feel so positive. I like the random selection of images that have floated across your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:54 AM

    wow, good for you on writing a novel! it reminds me that i don't have to be this big successful person and have everything figured out early in life.. why cram everything in a decade when you really do have your whole life to enjoy anything and everything?

    i like your poem. made me think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of important questions in this. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:29 AM

    Love the final line.

    ReplyDelete