Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Friday, October 09, 2015

#9: Chimayó

I wander in the desert of my imagination, 
down along the banks of the Rio Arriba,
near a small gathering of placitas, little plazas,
some twenty-five miles north of Santa Fe,
to find you, Chimayó,
a place of weavers, the warp and woof
of Tewa tradition, those ancestral Puebloans 
who survived here
by making life in this dry place. 

Your hand woven blankets and rugs 
have scattered far beyond this valley,
treasures of comfort to place over the back of a sofa,
the design of feathers, gifts from the sky,
worked in berry-dyes of red
and gray, the colors of the desert,
and turquoise, 
the color of soul healing. 


I found my Chimayó weaving at a garage sale for six dollars, wrapped in a plastic bag. I picked it up and held it in my arms. I only knew I had to take it home, though its story and weaver remain unknown. 

The soft wool of this small weaving (34” x 60”) and the feather design inspired research where I learned more about Chimayó blankets, their history, and this particular style called Moki. The stylized feathers greet me in the morning and end the day. 

http://www.chimayoweavers.com/category/M.html
http://ortegasweaving.com/history.php

Read what others have written for OctPoWriMo HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment