Beth Camp Historical Fiction

Thursday, February 26, 2009

#11 Read Write Image . . . Reflections


No winter bites as cold as this.
You’ve hidden your face
behind a mirror. I remember each line,
the mole, the crease on your forehead,
Behind you I see leafless trees
like lacey fingerprints atop the snow,
and snow falls everywhere.

All I want is to see your face, still hidden,
your hands curled like two lost dark geese,
the mirror a perfect oval, mysterious, unknowable.
The hills stretch out endlessly behind you.

Someone who loves you knit those gloves
and tied the belt on your coat, long ago.
Yet you stand before me, fixed, invisible.
Maybe I see myself in your mirror,
a nameless tree against a cold and foggy sky.
I’m wondering just when winter will end.


This week's prompt from Read Write Image #11 uses this evocative photograph, "Reflections" taken by Camile Tulcan, shared thru Creative Commons. Although I do try to write in response to ReadWritePoem, this time the poem "Reflecta" by Gordon Mason led me to this prompt.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:10 PM

    Perfect picture and words woven in a way to capture such. Lovely, you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:28 AM

    Great piece. Beautiful imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely poem. I love the photograph, too.

    ReplyDelete